Save this page Delete Your saved items:
Save articles and pages so that you can conveniently read them later.

Applying for a refund of vehicle tax

Sometimes people find they need to claim a refund on their tax disc having just bought one for a year and then they no longer have the use of their car. If you find that you do need to apply for a refund on your vehicle’s tax disc here’s how to go about it.

Who can apply for a tax disc refund?

If you are the current registered vehicle owner and your car has been stolen, scrapped, its tax class has changed to a nil value tax class (such as Disabled) or you are choosing to keep your vehicle off road with a SORN, you are eligible to apply for a refund.

If you are the current or last registered owner and your car was recently sold, exported or transferred you will also be eligible to apply for a refund.

When to apply

It’s important to ensure your application is posted before the first day of the month from when you wish to claim the refund.

How to apply with a tax disc

First you need to download the V14 application form. If you’d rather have a hardcopy, you can pick up a paper form from your local post office.

Fill in the form and send it, along with your tax disc, to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AL.

How much refund will you receive?

You’ll receive a refund for each full month left on your tax disc, assuming you post it to the DVLA before the first day of the first month of the refund.

You will not receive the 10% surcharge which is paid on six-month tax discs.

If you have a tax disc for a newly registered vehicle, which has a ‘First Year Rate’, you will only receive a refund of the higher rate if your vehicle was scrapped, stolen or had its tax class changed. Otherwise you’ll receive the normal rate as a refund.

When will you receive your refund?

The DVLA asks that you give them up to six weeks to process applications before you contact them. If you haven’t been given your refund within that time, you can call their customer enquiries number 0300 790 6802.

How to apply for a refund without a tax disc

If you don’t have the tax disc to send back, you’ll need to fill in a different form – V33. This can only be obtained by phoning 0300 123 4321 or by going to your local DVLA office. Once you’ve completed this form, send it to the DVLA address listed above.

Most Recent
Join in ico5Community
0 of 0
See all ico3Blog
0 of 0