Save this page Delete Your saved items:
Save articles and pages so that you can conveniently read them later.

When may I want to change my name?

There are many reasons for wanting to change your name, including:

  • if you get married or enter into a civil partnership, or want to take your partner's name;
  • if you get divorced, dissolve a civil partnership or end a long-term relationship;
  • to take a double-barrelled name after you marry or enter into a civil partnership;
  • as part of a change of gender;
  • because you dislike your current name;
  • to separate yourself from a particular person or a time or event in your life;
  • to stop a former partner finding you; or
  • to feel more part of a new family, for example a step-family.

You may also want to change a child’s name.

This content is subject to Crown Copyright

Community Legal Advice
Most Recent
See all ico3Blog
0 of 0