You will need the following documents when applying for an adoption order:
The court will need:
- your completed Form A58 (Application for an Adoption Order), and three copies;
- a certified copy of the full birth certificate for the child or, if the child has previously been adopted, a certified copy of the entry in the Adopted Children Register.
You may also have to provide any of the following, depending on your circumstances:
- if the child has been placed for adoption or freed for adoption by a court, a certified copy of the placement order or freeing order;
- if you are asking the court to dispense with the consent of any parent or guardian to the adoption, a brief statement of the facts you are relying on in support of your request (known as a ‘Statement of Facts’), and two copies of the statement;
- if you are submitting evidence of your marriage or civil partnership, a certified copy of your marriage certificate or certificate of civil partnership;
- if your husband, wife or civil partner has died, a certified copy of the death certificate;
- if you are divorced or your civil partnership has been dissolved, a copy of any decree absolute or decree of nullity of your marriage, or a copy of any dissolution order or nullity order of your civil partnership;
- separate medical reports on your health, the health of the child (and other applicant) made during the period of three months before the date of your application. (But you will not have to supply medical reports if the child was placed with you by an adoption agency, or if he or she is your child or the child of the other applicant, or you are applying alone as the partner (including husband, wife or civil partner) of the child’s mother or father.)
This is not an exhaustive list of the documents the court may need. You will find a list of the documents to be attached on the application form A58. If you are not sure whether any item on the list applies to you, the court staff will be able to advise you.
This content is subject to Crown Copyright
- HM Courts Service