Save this page Delete Your saved items:
Save articles and pages so that you can conveniently read them later.

Sex discrimination and equal pay

Men and women in the same employment have the right to equal pay for work of the same value. If you feel you are being discriminated against because of your sex, it may be unlawful.

Sex discrimination

Under the Equality Act 2010 it's unlawful for an employer to discriminate against you because of your sex.

Sex discrimination law covers almost all workers (men and women) and all types of organisations in the UK. It covers:

  • recruitment
  • employment terms and conditions
  • pay and benefits
  • training
  • promotion and transfer opportunities
  • redundancy
  • dismissal

Equal terms - equal pay

Where men and women, working for the same employer, are doing one of the following they are entitled to the same terms in their employment contract:

  • the same or similar work (like work)
  • work rated as equivalent in a job evaluation study by the employer
  • work of equal value

There may be exceptions where there is a genuine material factor which explains the difference.

Pay secrecy clauses in employment contracts are unenforceable if you are trying to find out if any difference in pay is connected with a 'protected characteristic', for example sex.

Positive action

In specific circumstances, an employer may encourage or offer support specifically to men or women, and this 'positive action' is allowed under sex discrimination laws.

For example, an employer who has no women managers might offer some training in management skills only to women or encourage them to apply for management jobs.

What to do if you are discriminated against

If you think you are being discriminated against you may be able to bring a claim to an Employment Tribunal for discrimination. However, it's best to talk to youremployer first to try to sort out the matter informally. You are entitled to write to your employer if you think you have been discriminated against or harassed because of your sex.

If you want further advice Acas (the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) offers free, confidential and impartial advice on employment rights issues. If you are a member of a trade union, you can get help, support and advice from them.

This content is subject to Crown Copyright

Most Recent
Join in ico5Community
0 of 0
See all ico3Blog
0 of 0