Save this page Delete Your saved items:
Save articles and pages so that you can conveniently read them later.

Compensation for victims of crime

If you have been a victim of a violent crime, you may be able to receive compensation through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

Website – CICA 

Telephone – 0300 003 3601

What does the CICA do?

The CICA is a government organisation that deals with compensation claims for anyone who has been physically or mentally injured due to being a victim of crime in England, Scotland or Wales.

You can even claim compensation even if the offender was not convicted or even charged with the crime.

Would I be eligible for compensation?

The CICA has specific criteria for those eligible for compensation. They are:

  1. You were injured in an act of violence in England, Scotland or Wales.
  2. You are making your claim within two years of the injury being sustained.


What compensation can I apply for?

There are four types of compensation available:

  • Compensation for injuries (including sexual offenses)
  • Compensation because a loved one has died as the result of violent crime
  • Compensation for loss of earnings
  • Compensation for special expenses


When you make an application for compensation if your claim is accepted it will fall into one of the above categories.

My compensation application has been refused. Why?

The CICA takes into account a number of criteria before a claim is accepted. The CICA examines:

  • Your behaviour before, during and after the incident in which you were injured
  • Your criminal record if you have one
  • Your behaviour towards the police with regard to cooperation
  • The time it took you to report the incident


How do I apply for compensation?

The CICA has an online application process that can be found here.

If you would rather make the application via telephone the CICA contact number is above.

What if I am injured while abroad?

If you are injured through someone committing a crime abroad then you may still be able to claim compensation.

If you were injured whilst visiting an EU country then you can use the CICA application process.

If you were injured in a non-EU country you should use this link to discover whether the country in question has its own compensation scheme to which you can apply.

Directory of Crime Victim Services

compensation for victims of crime
Most Recent
See all ico3Blog
0 of 0